Blogging has been a constant learning process for me. One of the things that I learned early on is that WordPress.org is the best platform for bloggers. I originally started my blog using the Wix platform. While Wix is an awesome site creator (I use it for 2 other non-blogging sites), it didn’t offer what I needed blogging-wise. So, I migrated my blog from Wix to WordPress.org. The process was not fun but WordPress has made all the difference in my blogging career (FYI WordPress.org is different from WordPress.com). If you’re just starting out and are planning on your blog becoming more than a hobby, learn from my pain and go with WordPress.org from the beginning.
How to Birth Your Very Own WordPress Blog
1. Pick A Name: I’ll admit that this step alone took me about two days. I had list upon list of ideas and my hubby was patient enough to act like he was giving me his honest feedback on each one. What’s In A Name? EVERYTHING!!! Pick one that you won’t end up hating down the road. It’s extra awesome if you can think of a name that relates to your niche. When you’ve narrowed it down, do a domain search to make sure that it’s not already taken. In the next step, you’ll pick your host. Hosts, like Bluehost offer a free domain credit with their hosting plans.
2. Pick Your Host: I use Bluehost. I love Bluehost! Not only is Bluehost recommended by WordPress but I also got my domain free, the setup was super simple thanks to their 1 Click WordPress Installation, and their customer service is amazing. If you do decide go with them, you’ll register your domain at this point as well. If you already have a domain elsewhere, you’ll need to start the transfer process.
3. Install WordPress: You can install WordPress here or with 1 Click Install (Bluehost users). When installation is complete, there will be some info that you need to write down or take a pic of including your administrative URL, your username, and password. Since I’ve started my blog, I’ve rarely visited my actual site URL. The admin URL is my go-to. It will be yours as well. It’s where the magic happens. Your username and password will be used to logon to your admin URL.
5. Customize: Here’s where the fun begins! Go to your admin URL and login for the first time! Yay!!!! Ok, now it’s time to make your blog pretty. For quality, you’ll probably end up having to shell out a few more dollars for a premium theme. I’m a bit of a theme junkie. The first theme I ever purchased was from Bluchic and it was the Isabelle theme! Since then, I’ve found so many more beauful themes all over! Some of my favorites are from Angie Makes and Restored 316. If you’re the type to switch things up a lot (like myself) an excellent option is Elegant Themes. With Elegant Themes, you get access to all the themes on their site (87 themes to be exact) for a year or for life for one price.
6. Write: Finally, the time has come to write your first post!!! This is where I leave you because you got this! Just a couple of tips though, make sure to save periodically (it should do this automatically, but I still check), and preview before hitting publish.
**This post contains affiliate links which means that if you follow it and make a purchase, my next hot chocolate is on you!
For more info, see my disclosure page.**
Well y’all, I hope this helps you out! Feel free to share with anyone else who’s looking to get in the game!